I remember once I was home when my mother said that we couldn’t eat a vegan meal that I cooked all together because my stepfather needed a sturdy meal. How curious then that, except the indigestion, I get at least as sturdy meals as a vegan than I did as a carnist. No, even more sturdy I would have to say. After I have been working a while I get ready to have a nice meal again. Today I decided to make a great sturdy dal. Today I used a variation of this recipe by Adriana, thanks a lot 🙂 – http://vegan-magic.blogspot.se/2012/03/aloo-chana.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+VeganMagicBlog+%28Vegan+Magic%29
500 grams of potatoes
1 tbsp curry powder
1 tbsp powdered ginger
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp coriander
1-2 tbsp turmeric (optional, but improves color)
2 tbsp tomato paste
1 cup black lentils
Note, I did not know this, but black lentils behave like black beans, i.e. you need to parboil them separately then transfer to the main dish, otherwise the entire thing will become black. I managed to save the color a bit, by using turmeric, but for future reference I will parboil them.
- Dice potatoes and put them in a pot with 1.5 cups of water and the spices (except turmeric)
- Lower heat and boil for 5-10 minutes
- Add lentils and 3-4 cups of water
- Lower heat and cook for 15 minutes.
- After about 10 minutes add in turmeric and tomato paste.
- Serve either as is or with brown rice.
- Enjoy 🙂